St Mellitus College has now grown to become one of the largest theological colleges in the Anglican Church worldwide, with 210 ordinands in training, and over 650 students taking its programmes. It is widely thought to be one of the most innovative and exciting places to study theology and ministry in the UK.
Named after the first Bishop of London, whose territory covered London and Essex, the College was founded in 2007 by the Bishops of London and Chelmsford. It emerged as the coming together of two institutions – North Thames Ministerial Training Course (NTMTC), based in the dioceses of London and Chelmsford, and St Paul’s Theological Centre (SPTC) which grew out of Holy Trinity Brompton. Today, we offer training opportunities in different parts of the country – London, Chelmsford, the North West and the South West.
St Mellitus College is dedicated to providing theology in the context of worship, unity and mission, helping Christians explore their faith more deeply, combining academic excellence, a focus on missional leadership, and the flexibility to fit around busy lifestyles.
Several features mark out the theological training offered at St Mellitus College:
- Accessibility – our aim is to make theological training accessible to anyone who wants to explore their faith.
- Academic excellence – we have a first-rate teaching staff and draw on the expertise of a wide range of visiting professors and associate lecturers.
- Generous orthodoxy – we work with all kinds of Christians and denominations and want to be open to the Holy Spirit’s transforming power at work in the church and the world.
- Worship – all of our programmes take place in the context of worship; our training aims to expand the heart as well as the mind, and learn what it is to love God in the world today.
- Church planting and leadership – in addition to preparing students for traditional forms of ministry, we are also committed to thinking about how the church needs to adapt to a fast-changing world, and helping those who want to plant new churches.
sign up to our mailing list
Sign up to our mailing list to find out about College news and upcoming events.