Dr Sara Schumacher is Director of Education and Tutor and Lecturer in Theology & the Arts. Sara studied at the Institute for Theology, Imagination and the Arts (University of St Andrews) and completed a doctorate on contemporary church patronage of the visual arts under the supervision of Professor David Brown FBA, FRSE. While at St Andrews, Sara co-founded and served as editor-in-chief of Transpositions, an award-winning website that publishes articles related to art and theology. She also co-founded and led the St Andrews Postgraduate Christian Forum as well as served on the teaching and leadership teams at her church. Prior to postgraduate work, Sara trained and worked as a graphic designer in a variety of professional settings and continues to enjoy all things art-related.
Re-Imagining the Church as Patron: Towards a Theological Model for Faithful Church Arts Patronage
This research project explores the theological influences undergirding the contemporary resurgence of church visual arts patronage. Starting with an exploration of approaches to patronage present within theological rationales for the arts, the research takes a practical turn and employs qualitative research methods to consider the extent to which these theological rationales are present in church action, concluding with a proposed theological model for practice.
- Schumacher, Sara. Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception, s.v. “Lord’s Prayer.” Berlin/Boston: Walter de Gruyter, 2017.
- Schumacher, Sara. Encyclopedia of the Bible and its Reception, s.v. “Leader, Leadership Visual Arts.” Berlin/Boston: Walter de Gruyter, 2017.
- Schumacher, Sara. ‘Making Good: Creation, Creativity, and Artistry – A Review.’ SEEN XV:2 (2015): 35.
- Schumacher, Sara. ‘A Modern-Day Renaissance: The Christian Church as an Unconventional Locus for Creative Arts Research.’ In ESRC Research Capacity Building Clusters: Summit Conference 2013, edited by Judy Scully, Ben Clegg, John Bryson, 16-24. Aston University: Aston Business School, 2013.
- Selected Transpositions articles (available online at http://www.transpositions.co.uk/author/sara-schumacher/):
- ‘Fault Lines: The Relationship between the Artist and the Church,’ 23 October 2013
- ‘Mediocrity & Excellence: An Issue for Art in the Church,’ 10 July 2013
- “‘Click to Insert Image”: PowerPoint & ‘Art’ in the Church,’ 1 May 2013
- ‘Creativity as a Battle: Artists and Academics,’ 20 February 2013
- ‘Artists and Academics: What They Might Have in Common,’ 16 January 2013
- ‘Someone Like You: Music, Pain and Sentimentality,’ 12 September 2012
- ‘To sit in its shadow: Church, Art, and Layers of Meaning,’ 19 March 2012
- ‘Art Appreciation in the Church: Two Approaches,’ 7 October 2011
- ‘The Digital Age and Arts Patronage,’ 22 July 2011
- ‘Does anonymity have a role in church art?,’ 7 February 2011
- Book Review – Inclusive Yet Discerning: Navigating Worship Artfully, 26 January 2011
- ‘Is Church Life Stifling Your Creativity? A Response,’ 10 January 2011