Revd Dr Alex Irving is Lecturer and Tutor in Theology at St Mellitus College. Before joining St Mellitus, Alex served a curacy in the Diocese of Norwich, during which time he was also a visiting lecturer at the London School of Theology, at which he also served as a member of the board of governors. Alex is married to Sophia and they have one young daughter, Rachael.
- • Alex’s current research is focussed on the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed (We Believe: Exploring the Nicene Faith, Apollos, forthcoming 2021).
- • Alex is also editing an abridgment of Edward Irving’s Christological sermons (Edward Irving’s The Doctrine of the Incarnation Opened: Abridged with Introduction and Responses, Wipf and Stock, forthcoming 2021)
• T.F. Torrance’s Reconstruction of Natural Theology: Christ and Cognition (Lexington, 2019).
• God, Freedom and the Body of Christ: Toward a Theology of the Church (Wipf and Stock/Cascade, forthcoming, 2020).
Selected Journal Articles
• ‘One Word, Many Wordings: The Inspiration of Scripture in its Christological and Pneumatological Dimension of Depth’, Expository Times, 2019.
• ‘“Grant me Grace”: Alternative Visions for Vernacular Theology and Lay Devotion in Richard Caister and Nicholas Love’, Evangelical Quarterly, 90.2 (2019), 142-163.
• ‘The Eucharist and the Church in the Thought of Henri de Lubac and Rowan Williams: Sacramental Ecclesiology and the Place of the Church in the World’, Anglican Theological Review. 100.2 (2018), 267-290.
• ‘The Motherhood of the Church in Henri de Lubac and John Calvin’, International Journal for the Study of the Church, 18.2 (2018), 1-19.
• ‘The Nature and Purpose of Reason in Christian Theology: The 1952 Exchange between Thomas F. Torrance and Brand Blanshard’, Theology in Scotland, 25.1 (2018), 19-34.
• ‘The Hypostatic Union as Normative over the Relation of God’s Self-Revelation and Human Cognition in the Thought of T.F. Torrance’, Irish Theological Quarterly , 83.2 (2018), 1-19.
• ‘Fr. Georges Florovksy and T.F. Torrance on the Doctrine of Creation’, St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 61.3 (2017) 301-322.
• ‘Does the Epistemological Relevance of the Spirit Constitute the End for Natural Theology? A Response to Paul Molnar in Dialogue with T.F. Torrance’, Trinity Journal, 38 (2017), 225-245.
• The Person of Jesus Christ as the Normative Basis for the Doctrine of Creation: Re-Envisioning T.F. Torrance’s Christocentric Doctrine of Creation’, Evangelical Quarterly 88.4 (2017), 349-366.
Entries in Reference Volumes
• ‘T.F. Torrance’ in Dictionary of Christian Apologetics and Their Critics, ed. R. Stewart and D. Geivett (Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, forthcoming, 2020).
Selected Book Reviews
• ‘Review of Time and Word: Figural Reading of the Christian Scriptures, by Ephraim Radner’, International Journal of Systematic Theology 21.2 (2019), 225-228.
• ‘Review of Rationality as Virtue: Towards a Philosophical Theology by Lydia Schumacher’, International Journal of Systematic Theology 19.2 (2017), 220-223.
• ‘Review of Thomas F. Torrance and the Church Fathers: A Reformed, Evangelical and Ecumenical Reconstruction of the Patristic Tradition, by Jason Robert Radcliffe’, St Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 61.2 (2017), 239-246.